Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Basic words and phrases PT 1.

Abyssus!
I hope you are doing well. I've already started off with an introduction, but let's start learning Latin! The first things to do are start with some common and base words. I am learning with you, using a translater, so I hope you don't mind that we are doing this together :)

Hello = Abyssus
Goodbye = Vale
Thank you = Gratias ago vos
Welcome = Exspectata
You = vos
Me = mihi

Questions:

How are you doing? = Quam es vos effectus
Do you speak English? = Operor vos narro English
Pardon me? = Ignosco mihi
Are you okay? = Es vos okay?
I'm lost. Can you help me? = I'm lost. Can vos succurro mihi?
Are you lost? = Es vos lost?
Where is the nearest hotel? = Qua est proximus hotel?
What is your name? = Quis est vestri nomen


Answers:
Quam es vos effectus = Bonus (Good), Maximus Bonus (Very good), Malus (bad), Maximus malus (very bad).
Operor vos narro English = Ita vero (yes), minime (no)
I'm lost. Can vos succurro mihi = Ita vero (yes), minime (no)
Es vos lost = Ita vero (yes) minime (no)
Qua est proximus hotel = Ut procuratio (that direction) EGO don't teneo (I don't know)

Statements:
I have a dog = EGO have a canis > My dog is small = meus canis est vegrandis > My dog is big = meus canis est magnus
I have a cat = EGO have a cattus > My cat is = meus cattus est > black = atra, brown = frons, orange striped = orange virga, grey = griseus, white = albus, patched = pannus
I have a reptile = EGO have a reptile
I have a fish = EGO have a piscus piscus
I have a horse = EGO have a equus
I have a small rodent = EGO have a lectus rodent
I have a bird = EGO have a bird
My age is = Meus aevum est
My name is = Meus nomen est
My favorite band is = meus ventus manus manus est
I feel sick = EGO sentio infirmus

To practice this, make flash cards and practice them everyday. Latin is easy once you get the hang of it: I'm already learning! Buy a Latin dictionary and find a good Latin translator online. Since Latin is not commonly used (and sometimes considered a dead language) you probably won't find yourself in a situation where you have to all of the sudden say something in Latin, HOWEVER, lots of people like to speak Latin because it's a fun language and is indeed useful if you are a writer, and a good language to know since many words are based off Latin. I will post more later :)

1 comment:

  1. Abyssus, Natalie ... would it be correct to say, "this blog is Maximus Bonus" ... ? I think it's really cool ... and who knows, I might actually finally learn Latin, too!

    keep up the great work!

    ~Sadie's mom. :)

    ReplyDelete